Gel Stain & Top Coat - All In One - by Fusion Mineral Paint
NOTE: Fusion has described their Fusion Gel Stain as " ... a layering top coat finish with a tint. It is a bit tricky to use but if you have ever used an oil-based urethane, it is comparable to that." Please test on small hidden area to ensure desired results before proceeding with entire project.
For more information, download this Fusion provided Gel Stain & Top Coat User Guide with Links to Videos before purchasing.
COVERAGE. Approx 80-120 sq ft -Additional coats will achieve a darker, deep rich color.
This one-step brush on stain and tough protective coating provides a durable, rich, satin finish – perfect for heavily used interior surfaces. It is ideal for areas that are washed frequently – table tops, bathroom vanities, even floors! This hard-wearing, maintenance-free interior finish enhances the beauty of natural wood while resisting water, food stains, alcohol, grease, and detergents.
Gel Stain is available in 4 colors;
- Double Espresso
- Patina (clear, and doubles a protective topcoat)
PLEASE NOTE: One coat is translucent. Subsequent coats will build to a solid-opaque color.
- This product is a Brush On and NOT a wipe on or wipe back product.
- Use a natural bristle brush or a roller to apply.
- Dries to the touch in 8 hours and can be re-coated at that time
- Has a thicker gel like consistency – each color varies.
- Long open time and Self Leveling.
- Comes in Quart size only in 4 different colors.
- 1 Coat looks like a stain. Subsequent coats get more opaque (solid).
- Satin Finish.
- Laminate, Lacquered, previously painted or coated surfaces.
- Damaged or Scratched surfaces
- Almost a no prep product- just clean and remove any wax or grease. No sanding or de-glossing required to apply this.
- Extremely durable. Excellent for Flooring and heavy use kitchen table tops etc.
- Works on Bare Wood surfaces for a beautiful satin finish.
CLEAN UP AND CURE TIME
- Gel Stain is Oil Based
- Mineral Spirits for clean up
- Dries to the touch in 4 hours, lightly used after 24 hours
- Cures in 5 Days
PREPARATION. Clean surface of wax or grease. Sanding is NOT required on your clean and dry surface. Adheres well to old finishes. Two coats may be required if the old finish has been worn down to expose a different substrate or the blemishes are severe. If there is an area where there is an old finish as well as any peeling areas you will need to remove (ensure you take precautions if old surface is a lead based coating) the loose peeling substrate until you have a sound surface.
CLEAN UP AND THINNER. Odorless mineral spirits.
SURFACE PREPARATION. Apply to a clean sound surface free of grease, oil, dirt, shellac or dust. Do not apply to a surface that is wet, or on asphalt, shellac, vinyl or linoleum tile.
PRODUCT PREP. Stir thoroughly before applying. Do not shake as you will introduce bubbles. Appears as a colored gel until stirred.
APPLICATION. Use it well ventilated area. Dries to a satin sheen in the color of your choosing. NOTE: One coat will be more translucent. Subsequent coats will build to a solid-opaque color. Test your methods in an inconspicuous area. Use a brush, or very short nap roller, but NOT a foam roller to avoid air bubbles. Apply a thin coat in a dust free area. Wait 4 hours before re-coating if needed. (if subsequent coats are desired or surface feels bumpy give a light sanding and remove dust before re-coating. If applying to brand new raw wood, the first coating should be thinned by 20% by using 1 part mineral spirits and 4 parts gel stain. Wait 4-8 hours before applying second coat, if desired.
DRY TIME. Dry time is 4 hours at 77°F and 50% relative humidity. After 24 hours, the area can be lightly used. Takes approximately 5 days to cure.
CAUTION. Gel Stain is an oil-based product, and will yellow over time if used as a top coat over whites.